Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is there life after LA GORZDERETTE?

What happened to winter? Where did it go? Is there life after LA GORZDERETTE?!

Amid the red wet confines of the ewe's pelvis I hunt for life nose toes anything that denotes a lamb. Sensing my intrusion or even to yet expel her lamb ewe contracts against
upon my cupped I weather the crushing search on.

Gloved fingers detect an identifiable form lamb skull muzzle then a nascent twitch from an indeed still live lamb time to work fast. I rotate my hand to where hooves should be hoping for an optimal presentation no luck the lamb is legs back a common ungulate dystocia meaning the head is presented in the birth canal but the fore legs are positioned under the lamb's abdomen so the lamb is shoulder-locked in the birth canal.

The obstetrical solution is elegant yet counterintuitive, repel the lamb's head back into the uterus then reposition both forelimbs so the hooves are under the nose the way lambs are supposed to be delivered. I cup my broad hand over the lambs face shove lamb back into ewe's belly.

Now the tricky part slide rolled hand along lamb find left forelimb with right hand hook ankle with finger pull limb forward until hoof is found cup hoof in hand swivel about being sure hoof though soft from uterine fluid does not lacerate uterine wall and position under lamb muzzle repeat on left side (tricky) until lamb has chin resting atop forefeet like dog on kitchen floor.

Ewe struggles squeezes with renewed interest post-doc laying on ewe huffs-puffs Wyoming wind howls I insert left hand too beaucoup lube (sorry babe) secure front paws between index-middle-ring fingers cup back of head with left hand stretch ewe's vulva (no movement from lamb now, uh-oh...) exert steady pull lamb moves from depths of ewe into blaring Wyoming spring sun.

The lamb's dead. Limp like so much wet disaster draped in my steaming arms strands of fetal membranes slurping onto my sodden coveralls.

I towel away clearing lamb's muzzle so breath could be drawn lamb flops back a soggy plush toy as I palpate chest a heart beat bum-bum-bum-bum-bum...

Bloody gloved hand palms lamb head places lamb's muzzle into mouth I blow air lamb's chest puffs up like party balloon.

Lamb splutters coughs breaths lifts head moves a little herky-jerky life begins.

Photo: Rob Fullerton.

Rob shot this photo of me in my dry-tool den day before starting my new posting at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, WY. Me at the height of my
post-winter-powers the Super Couloir Direct already a memory a man on the verge of a pretty-big-brand-spanking-new-life adventure.

Detendez-vous, ca va bien se passer...







No comments:

Post a Comment